When you’re broke you don’t really have many options.
In other words, you work with what you have when you are broke AF. So there are types of meals every Kenyan has indulged in at those times and for some of us these meals are our staple meals when we’re halfway through the month and the struggle is real. Chances are, if we ate like this throughout we would save a lot of money and probably even save for one grand meal at the end of the year.
Here are the types of meal every broke Kenyan knows too well.
1. Chapo madondo which is basically chapatti and beans. One chapo is never enough but since it’s probably 10 bob you’ll have 5.
2. Indomie noodles which are life-saving and super cheap.
3. Ugali and eggs.
4. Githeri and avocado because even sukuma is expensive my fren.
5. Simply ugali and sukuma or cabbage.
6. Pilau njeri which is the fake version of pilau, when it is well salted it has the potential of tasting good.
7. Rice and peas with a lot of royco to give it a non bland taste.
8. When times are super hard 6 slices of bread and black tea (strungi) also comes through.
9. KDF mandazi because you can eat two with fanta and you’re good to go.
10. Rice with beans.
11. Smokie pasua or boiled eggs.